Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tea-Biscuit Dressage Diva

  Wow! This week has had some super exciting moments with Tea Biscuit. I have continued her ground work with lateral movement from both sides and taught her how to lunge walk, trot, canter both directions with and without vienna reins,stand at the mounting block and ground tie for grooming/bathing.
  She has a great work ethic and readily comes up for her turn to be worked. I have kept the sessions pretty short to keep her interested but she is very eager to do whatever the plan is. I have used clicker training with her to reward good ground work and a longer attention span.  This is a  method I learn some years ago for showing horses in hand but it also works as a building block for starting youngsters. It motivates while  building a true partnership and encourages confidence along the way.
   The most exciting thing about this week was the end result of this ground work and preparation. I was able to walk her up to the mounting block have her stand while I mounted and walked around the ring both directions with good bend and acceptance of the bit. This is proving to be a very fun journey thus far I am very sure I found a very special partner to bring along and am very thankful for the gift god has given me to enjoy these moments.



No comments:

Post a Comment